Friday, November 22, 2013

Our personal butler and homie-g, Jesus Christ.

  A few days ago, I decided it was time to catch up on decorating my stationery for pen pal letters. I also decided I wanted to hear a recent Jentezen Franklin podcast. So I (somehow productively) did both at the same time.
It was probably the best decision I have made in a while. (Though my decision in outfits this week have been extraordinary. Just saying.)
There was a quote that really made me stop what I was doing, and instantly write it down.
"God is not our butler. God is not our buddy."

How true is this? I mean, really. God is not someone we can snap our fingers at, and say "Job, please." or "New shoes, please." God is not our buddy. He is NOT our 'homie' and He is NOT someone we call when we need a ride, or $20 dollars, or someone to cover for us when we sneak out of the house. No, no. Our GOD is not limited to what we say. He does not answer our every demand. He does not cater to our opinions. He doesn't even CARE about our personal opinions.
I REPEAT. Jesus Christ, King of Kings, Lord of Lords does NOT care about our personal opinions.
Do not get the wrong idea, family. Jesus cares for us. He loves us dearly. But Jesus is holy. He is omnipotent and omnipresent. Just because "I do not like neighbor Carl, so I won't stick $20 in his mail box" when Christ specifically told us to do so, is unacceptable. When we finally meet Christ, and He brings up this situation, what are we going to say? "I wasn't feeling it." or "You know, I didn't like his attitude.." So.. We're ignoring our CREATOR'S orders, "because we weren't feeling it?" That isn't going to cut it. Stop being absurdly selfish, pick up your cross, and follow Him.

Back on subject.

I've really been caught up in this quote.
"God is not our butler. God is not our buddy."
Geez. It's a bit intimidating. I'm looking at the letters of this quote, and it's like they keep staring me in the eyes. The letters jump off the screen and mess with my mind. "God is not our butler. God is not our buddy."
God is not our butler.
I'll say "Hey, Dad. You love me, right? There's this REALLY awesome guitar this guy wants to trade on Facebook Swap, and since you love me, and all, I was kinda hoping you would let this guy want to trade his really cool guitar, for my much cheaper one.. I love you.. bye." and just expect God to do it for me.
 
But, the funny thing is, He answered my prayer. Just, not in the way I was expecting.
 
See, a few hours later, I looked at the post and DECLINED the guitar. My heart didn't want it. My heart was completely satisfied with the guitars I currently have. I don't need, and can not afford, a brand new guitar. I do not mean money wise, I mean spiritual wise.
I believe, if God would have answered my prayer, He would have become more and more like my butler; answering my every demand just because I ask Him. Isn't it funny how it should be the other way around? Aren't the servants supposed to cater to the one who signs the pay check? Aren't the created supposed to cater to the creator? Yet, we can not complete a simple task that He asks for, because we are "too busy" or "don't feel like it." Bologna, family. And yet, we're all guilty of it.
Why are we so needy? Why do we continuously beg and plead God for worldly treasures? Doesn't He teach us to store our treasures in Heaven, where moth nor rust destroy? Simple answer - Because we view God as our personal butler. It's like, instead of asking Christ to be our personal Savior, our Lord and Savior, we ask for Him to become our personal butler, our Lord and butler, but mostly just our butler. No Lord involved, until we get what we want. Isn't that great? (Sarcasm intended.) What are we, worldly?
 
 Romans 7:14-25  
   So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is the sin living in me that does it.
  And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it's sin living in me that does it.  
  I have discovered this principle of life - that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin. 
Romans 8:5-6
Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.
 
 
Please, read every bit of those verses. Read them twice. Mark them in your personal Bible.
Not sure where those verses tie in with this .. If you find out, let me know. But seriously, I just love those verses.

anyways..
Family, let's not be so needy.. Let's not beg Christ for things, yet, get upset when we don't get the answer we want. Let's learn to trust in His steadfast love. His burning desire to capture our filthy hearts. His longing for fulfillment in Him. He wants nothing but the best for us. Can we learn to believe that?
 Matthew 6:31-34
 "So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
 
God is not our butler.


God is not our buddy.
How often do we see shirts or posts that say "Jesus is my homie." or "Me and Jesus are tight" (I am not talking about the Jesus Is My Homeboy shirts. I understand the story behind that.) at first, I was like "Oh, that's cool! Reppin' my man J-e-z." But I got to thinking.. How disrespectful. God isn't our "buddy"..
I looked up the word "buddy" on urban dictionary, and here is what the definition says.
Buddy - friend, pal, compatriot, someone you don't know the name of, someone you don't want to tell the name of

"Someone you don't want to tell the name of" .. Does that not get your blood boiling?
But notice the part that says "Someone you don't know the name of."
What if - someone notices their blessings. Someone understands the earth wasn't merely created by mistake. Someone wants to know more, CRAVES to learn more. But has no access to more.
 Jesus Christ is their buddy. He is there, while they are left unknowingly, in their presence.

God isn't our buddy. We aren't ashamed to call on the name of Jesus in a public area. We aren't afraid to tell our family about the precious blood of Christ.
God isn't our buddy. We are past the place of learning His name. We are past the unknowingness.
God isn't our buddy.



Rest easy, family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog is completely open to discussion and criticism. Feel free to comment.